Glencree barracks was built in 1806 by the British Army and was one of four barracks built along the Military Road built also by the Army to hunt down United Irishmen guerrillas following the Rebellion of 1798. In 1858 the building was converted to a reformatory school and was in use until 1940. During the First World War the building housed German prisoners of war and later during the Second World War housed German Air Force pilots shot down over Ireland. The German War Cemetery is located nearby and contains the graves of Luftwaffe and Kriegsmarine personnel. The Glencree Centre for Peace and Reconciliation opened in 1975 in order to foster better relations between the two c ommunities in Northern Ireland but has grown to include conflict resolution across the globe.